[INDOLOGY] folio 121r in 1586 Flos Sanctorum Re: Unicode font for ancient and modern Tamil

Jean-Luc Chevillard jean-luc.chevillard at univ-paris-diderot.fr
Thu Mar 16 12:17:49 UTC 2023

Dear all,

as an additional contribution to the current debate,
here is my RAW transcription of folio 121r
inside Henrique Henriques's 16th century "Flos Sanctorum" alias அடியார்
வரலாறு [aṭiyār varalāṟu], which was printed 1586 in Punnaykayal
(following the spelling of Joseph Wicki).

A "benevolent interpretation" (in the words of Harry Spier) of the text
of the /Flos Sanctorum/  was published in தூத்துக்குடி [tūttukkuṭi] in
1967 by ச. இராசமாணிக்கம் [c. irācamāṇikkam].

The Vatican Library has made the 1586 original freely available at
https://digi.vatlib.it/view/MSS_Vat.ind.24

In addition to my RAW transcription, I include as an attachment the
image of the page, as downloaded from the Vatican web site.

In my transcription, you can see occurrences of the sequence "# # #"

I would be interested in hearing about other suggestions for FAITHFULLY
reproducing this printed page, which seems to have been based on the
writing practices of the time, when "BENEVOLENT" spelling systems were
not available ...

Best wishes to all

-- Jean-Luc

https://htl.cnrs.fr/equipe/jl-chevillard/

<page>
<description>Flos Sanctorum folio 121r</description>

<header>ஆ டி . - சு - எ சி த த # க கி யு  ௱ ௰ ௪ -</header>
<comment>(Eustachio)[St. Eustace]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Eustace</comment>

<page_body>
<line>@ ல # ரு பி ள ளை @@ ய யி க க @@ # யி @ ல @@ வ த து ம ற ற ப பி ள