[INDOLOGY] Annotations in śrī-vidyā-nitya-paddhatiḥ of Sahib Kaul

Harry Spier vasishtha.spier at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 00:46:22 UTC 2023

Dear list members,
I'm looking at a manuscript of the śrī-vidyā-nitya-paddhatiḥ of Sahib Kaul
The link to the manuscript on archive.org is:

https://archive.org/download/ShriVidyaNityaPaddhatiOfSahibKaulAlm27Shlf260531673KDevanagariTantra/Shri%20Vidya%20Nitya%20Paddhati%20of%20Sahib%20Kaul_Alm_27_shlf_2_6053_1673_K_Devanagari%20-%20Tantra.pdf

The manuscript is full of mantras with the tantric preamble of ṛṣiḥ,
chandas, devatā, bijaṁ, śaktiḥ , kīlakaṁ and viniyogaḥ.  But what is
unusual is that where these mantra preambles occur there is an annotation
in red ink and as far as I can see it is the same annotation

ṛṣiḥ has annotation śi, chandas has annotation mu,
devatā has annotation sa, bijaṁ has annotation gu,
śaktiḥ has annotation mā , kīlakaṁ has annotation nā
viniyogaḥ has annotation sa.

And one mantra has in addition to these, sthane with annotation mū,
varṇāḥ with annotation sa, svaraḥ with annotation kaṁ

Does anyone have any idea what these annotations are.  I'm particularly
interested in finding out, because I've been unsuccessfully trying to get
any information on the tantric preamble of ṛṣiḥ, chandas, devatā, bijaṁ,
śaktiḥ , kīlakaṁ viniyogaḥ for over 20 years.  I've only seen the most
basic information (which seems mostly like conjectures) with no references
to texts.  Such as a tantric text that says your supposed to repeat this
preamble before mantras..

In the first 120 folios you can see the annotations in these folios
I'm only giving references to the occurances in the first 120 folios but
they also occur farther on in the manuscripts.

folio 2b pdf page 6

folio 10b pdf page 23

folio 11b and 12a pdf pages 25-26

folio 12b-13a pdf pages 27-28

folio 21b pdf page 45 regular annotations + sthane with annotation mū,
varṇāḥ with annotation sa, svaraḥ  with annotation kaṁ

folio 46a pdf page 93

folio 55a pdf page 111

57a pdf page 115

folio 64b pdf page 130