[INDOLOGY] article search

Matthew Kapstein mkapstei at uchicago.edu
Wed Oct 26 12:27:01 UTC 2022

Thank you, Nagaraj,

I believe that in many bhakti-related traditions associated with the "scheduled cases" (Kabir, Namdev, etc.) we find notions that resonate closely with Advaita views. It seems that I need to clarify my specific question more precisely: What I am interested in are circumstances in which those outside of the three privileged castes have been more formally considered as adhikāri-s with respect to Vedānta, or where discussions of this possibility are addressed in the literature. Commentaries on the Yogavāsiṣṭha appear to raise the question, but I am otherwise unfamiliar with its treatment in śāstric writings - this is of course an admission of my own ignorance in this area. If there is scholarship that addresses the issue, I would be most grateful for references.

Best,
Matthew

Matthew Kapstein
Directeur d'études, émérite