[INDOLOGY] Question

Asko Parpola aparpola at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 14:03:08 UTC 2022

In the Vedic soma rite connected with sorcery called śyena ‘falcon' and described in Lāṭyāyana-Śrautasūtra 8,5, the officiating priests wear red turbans and are dressed in red clothes. This and related rites of sorcery belong to the archaic vrātya tradition of the Atharvaveda and Sāmaveda. Cf. my book “The Roots of Hinduism” (2015), chapter 12, and p. 134.

With best wishes, Asko Parpola