[INDOLOGY] Prādyuṇaka/-ika

Martin Gansten martingansten at gmail.com
Thu May 19 06:44:02 UTC 2022

With many thanks again for all references to the use of gourds, I wonder
if anyone has come across the word prādyuṇaka or prādyuṇika (with or
without the retroflexion, which looks a little odd), occurring in the
same text. Apparently it translates the Arabic yanūbu 'return/occur
again and again', so it would seem to be derived from pradyu/pradiv (as
in pradivas, -divi 'always, at all times'), but I have never seen this
adjective form before, nor been able to locate it in any dictionary. The
text does employ vernacular words occasionally, but there is nothing
similar to it in Turner either.

Best wishes,
Martin Gansten