[INDOLOGY] quotes of nāṭyaśāstric flavour

Gaia Pintucci gaiapintucci at gmail.com
Thu May 19 02:39:47 UTC 2022

Dear list members,

in a kāvya commentary I am editing I found in close succession the
definitions of six types of glances.
As it happens, the same six glances are defined in Nāṭyaśāstra, ch. 8, but
both the wording and the content of the definitions differ in various
degrees in the two texts. The Nāṭyaśāstra editions I have at hand are
Gaekwad Oriental Series, vol. 1, 2nd ed., 1956, Kāvyamālā 1943 and Grosset
1898; the six definitions are very similar in the three editions. Of course
it is not impossible that editions of the NāŚā that I could not access read
the same wording that appears in the commentary I am editing.

Interestingly, Harihara's commentary on Mālatīmādhava (ed. by François
Grimal) includes a definition of one of the six glances, namely the snigdhā
glance, that is very close to the one in the commentary I am editing.
Compare the following three excerpts:
1) from Nāṭyaśāśtra (GOS ed., p. 9):
vyākośamadhyā madhurā sthitatārābhilāṣiṇī |
sānandabhrūlatā dṛṣṭiḥ snigdheyaṃ ratibhāvajā || 8.57 ||
2) from the commentary I am editing:
smeratārā sābhilāṣā madhurāntarvikāsinī |
saharṣā śasyate snigdhā dṛṣṭiḥ syād ratisambhavā ||
3) from Harihara's commentary (p. 47):
saharṣā sābhilāṣā ca madhurāntarvikāsinī |
smeratārā bhaved dṛṣṭiḥ snigdhā ratyākhyabhāvajā ||

I am wondering if anyone has encountered, in works of any genre, quotations
that treat topics covered in the Nāṭyaśāstra but that neither are attested
in its published editions nor come from other known saṃgītaśāstra treatises
or cognate literature. In particular, I am interested in definitions. If
passages of said kind do exist, I would like to know if a trend has been
noticed as for their content or other features.
I'd be very grateful for references, suggestions etc.

All the best,
Gaia Pintucci