[INDOLOGY] a saṃdhi problem

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Wed Dec 21 23:56:13 UTC 2022

Dear Raffaele,

     I cannot think of a sandhi solution that would give you
*saṃhārekasya *from
*saṃhāre+ekasya*. The other possibility that occurred to me is to
interpret *kasya
*not as a question pronoun, but with *ka *referring to *brahmā*. Would it
make sense to take the compound *adhyakṣaśeṣatām *connected to *kasya* to
mean *adhyakṣaśeṣatā *of Brahmā.  Could this refer to Viṣṇu's role as being
the overseer of the work of Brahmā in the functions of *sr̥ṣṭi, sthiti* and
*saṃhāra*? This is similar to the Bhagavadgītā: *mayā adhyakṣeṇa prakr̥tiḥ
sūyate sacarācaram*. Just a thought. With best regards,

Madhav

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies
Adjunct Professor, National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bangalore, India

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]