[INDOLOGY] The Buddhist term sutta

alakendu das mailmealakendudas at rediffmail.com
Wed May 12 04:56:58 UTC 2021

Dr.Ryan
While referring to a traditional book written in Bengali, by Dr.Biman Chandra Bhattacharya ( first publication 1958), the name of which loosely translates as 'Outlines of Sanskrit literature' , I find , the word "Sutta" in Buddhist literature is an abridged version of the word "Sutra" in Sanskrit, but the implied meaning has some difference in it.In Sanskrit, by "Sutra" we mean a subtle "thread "of discourse by which the subject matter is gradually elaborated, whereas in Buddhist literature "Sutta"means  a discourse in a wider context.Alakendu Das.

Sent from RediffmailNG on Android