[INDOLOGY] The Buddhist term sutta

Gleb Sharygin gleb.sharygin at gmail.com
Tue May 11 15:49:05 UTC 2021

Dear Prof. Ryan,

Esteemed colleagues mostly are pointing out here that such derivation is
not likely or necessary, but it does not change the fact that the early
Buddhist *suttas *are wordy dialogues (or monologues) that narrate the
matters in a rather lively manner, but the Brahmanic *sūtras *are terse and
extremely succinct coded messages, which do resemble "threads" (Sanskrit "
*sūtra*") as such. The contrast to me is very striking. How can we explain
it? For instance, assuming that *sūtra *and *sutta *are different words
(and "literary genres").

Kind regards,
Gleb Sharygin

PhD Candidate
Institute for Indology and Tibetology
LMU Munich

https://www.academia.edu/19790273/Misunderstood_origins_how_Buddhism_fooled_modern_scholarship_-_and_itself

пн, 10 мая 2021 г. в 21:22, Jim Ryan via INDOLOGY <