[INDOLOGY] About four catalogues of South-Indian manuscripts made in the very beginning of the 19th century

Christophe Vielle christophe.vielle at uclouvain.be
Mon Mar 29 13:55:22 UTC 2021

Dear list,

In Claudius Buchanan <https://www.google.be/search?hl=fr&tbo=p&tbm=bks&q=inauthor:%22Claudius+Buchanan%22&source=gbs_metadata_r&cad=5>'s Christian Researches in Asia: With Notices on the Translation of the Scriptures Into the Oriental Languages, Cambridge, 1811, https://books.google.com <https://books.google.com/books?id=9ncOAAAAQAAJ>/books?id=9ncOAAAAQAAJ <https://books.google.com/books?id=9ncOAAAAQAAJ>,

 p. 93, in a letter dated to the 19th Oct. 1806, it is said;

“I requested that the Rajah would be pleased to present a Catalogue of all the Hindoo Manuscripts in the Temples of Travancore to the College of Fort-William in Bengal. The Brahmins were very averse to this; but when I shewed the Rajah the catalogues of the books in the Temples of Tanjore, given by the Rajah of Tanjore, and those of the Temple of Ramisseram, given me by order of the Rannie (or Queen) of Ramnad ; he desired it might be done : and orders have been sent to the Hindoo College of Trichoor for that purpose.”*

* The three Catalogues, together with that of the Rajah of Cochin, which the Author procured afterwards, are now deposited in the College of Fort-William, and probably contain all the Hindoo literature of the South of India.

Would these four old catalogues of (Sanskrit) manuscripts (Tanjore, Rameswaran, Travancore, Cochin) still exist somewhere in Calcutta or London?

Best wishes,
Christophe Vielle <https://uclouvain.be/en/directories/christophe.vielle>
Louvain-la-Neuve