[INDOLOGY] Re: -t/-d

Antonia Ruppel rhododaktylos at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 03:11:35 UTC 2021

Dear Mark,

These forms originally ended in -d, as we can see from comparative evidence
(forms such as 'id' in Latin, or Germanic forms ending in -t, such as 'it'
or 'that') and also internal evidence (forms such as Sanskrit id-am).

Word-final -d of course always appears as -t in Sanskrit when no other word
follows. Some grammars prefer to give the underlying form (and then also
often give you forms ending in the underlying -s that at the end of a word
always appears as visarga in Sanskrit); others prefer to list the form as
it would appear in Sanskrit.

Hope this helps!

All the best,
    Antonia