[INDOLOGY] Re: -t/-d

Nathan McGovern nmcgover at fandm.edu
Thu Mar 4 02:56:22 UTC 2021

Dear Mark,

I don't mean this to be a flippant question, but is it meaningful to ask
which form is "original"? In English, is the indefinite article
"originally" /a /but then becomes /an/ in front of vowels, or is it
"originally" /an/ but then becomes /a /in front of consonants?

Best,

Nathan

*Having written this, it occurs to me that perhaps//one could make a
comparative linguistic argument than /an/ is original because (I assume)
it derives from German /ein/. But I don't know enough about the relevant
comparative linguistics to say whether this is true, much less how it
might translate to your question about Sanskrit /-t /and /-d/.