[INDOLOGY] anādir ayaṃ āloko: tracing the origin of a stanza from a Pali Grammar

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Fri Jul 2 12:33:12 UTC 2021

Hello Aleix,

There is an echo of Daṇḍin's verse in his Kāvyādarśa:

*idam andhaṃ jagat kr̥tsnaṃ jāyeta bhuvanatrayam /*
*yadi śabdāhvayaṃ jyotir āsaṃsāraṃ na dīpyate //*

Madhav

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies
Adjunct Professor, National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bangalore, India

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]