[INDOLOGY] some thoughts about modality, vyaapti and `eva'

Birgit Kellner birgit.kellner at oeaw.ac.at
Thu Jul 1 11:26:17 UTC 2021

Dear list members,

in support of Patrick McAllisters point, in particular the second aspect
strikes me worthwhile exploring in connection with modality: the
Dharmakirtian (and post-Dharmakirtian) notion of "incompatibility"
(virodha), of which two types are distinguished:

(1) a factual incompatibility which means that two spatio-temporally
bound real entities cannot coexist in the same environment (like hot and
cold temperature), insofar as the presence of the one invariably
destroys the other one. This is referred to as
sahānavasthāna(lakṣaṇa)virodha).

(2) a conceptual incompatibility that broadly speaking corresponds to
Aristotelian contradiction or contrariety between two predicates (there
is a divergence of viewpoints in the Buddhist logical tradition whether
contrariety or mere "difference" is really a type of virodha or not).
Both the stronger and the weaker version of this relationship are
subject to the principle that the determination (pariccheda) of the one
amounts to the exclusion (vyavaccheda) of the other, but only the
stronger version -- obtaining between a predicate and its negation, like
"blue" and "non-blue" -- is subject to the principle that also the
exclusion of the one amounts to the determination of the other. The
weaker version, by the way, would be exemplified by "blue" and "yellow".
This type of incompatibility is referred to as
parasparaparihārasthiti(or sthita-)lakṣaṇavirodha.

The elaboration of (1) leads to discussions relating to the theory of
universal momentariness (the problem being that real entities, when
analyzed as momentary phases, are after all not destroyed by external
agents; they "self-destruct", so this kind of factual incompatibility
has to be analyzed on the level of series (santāna)). But it is in the
elaboration of (2) where one may gain further insights into thinking
about logical impossibility.

With best regards,

Birgit Kellner

--
Prof. Birgit Kellner, PhD
Direktorin

Prof. Birgit Kellner, PhD
Director
Institute for the Cultural and Intellectual History of Asia
Austrian Academy of Sciences
Hollandstrasse 11-13/2
1020 Vienna
Austria