[INDOLOGY] Re: apology for involving the list

rajam rajam at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 23 04:17:37 UTC 2021

Dear Professor Tieken,

Hope you’re doing well in this difficult CORONA Times. We are managing things ok in California. God bless the world.

Professor Tieken, no offense meant but I wonder why you have taken my wording ஓர் அயலகத் தமிழாய்வாளர் (ōr ayalakattamiḻāyvāl̥ar) as pointing to you!! It could refer to Dr. S. Palaniappan or anyone else!

I guess there’s a problem in translating my phrase ஓர் அயலகத் தமிழாய்வாளர்.

Here, you have translated ஓர் as ‘some,’ while I meant ‘one.’ As you well know, ஓர் can be translated as ‘a/one/specific.’  It is not derogative at all. அயலகத் தமிழாய்வாளர் could refer to anyone such as myself, George Hart, Palaniappan, Jean-Luc Chevillard, and some other friends of mine who are very much interested in Tamil and ask me questions now and then.  We all live in foreign countries, so we all are அயலகத் தமிழாய்வாளர்.

Anyway, as I said, no offense please.

In any case, I wish to respond to your query about "this type of compound." I’ll reply soon.

Meantime, peace.

Thanks and regards,
rajam