[INDOLOGY] Re: Professor-researcher recruitment campaign EPHE

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 09:05:08 UTC 2021

It seems like perhaps it is possible that Jan has not quite addressed
Dominik's point: I did not read him as rejecting the use of French, only
the condition that fluency is a requirement *for application*.

For instance, although one might expect a Spanish or Italian speaker to be
able to ramp up to working fluency in two years, this seems to be ruled
out. NB: As far as I know, the requirement for fluency in German in German
and Austrian universities, and in Dutch here in the Netherlands, is
normally specified as "within two years," and at least it used to be the
case that the university provided support for language training.

Jan, himself Dutch, is surely aware that most people in the world were not
able to benefit from the excellent gymnasium training he received in which
language acquisition was strongly present (and a further note: this is
increasingly not the case even in the top gynmasia here, where so-called
beta tracks [natural sciences] have largely taken over, for completely
understandable reasons.)

So what we seem to come down to is an implicit interest in preventing
non-French scholars from even applying...(which Dominik was of course too
polite to say in so many words)

Jonathan

On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 9:54 AM jmdelire <jmdelire at ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> Having myself French as mother language, I always had the feeling that
> the education system in France is not particularly open to non French
> students or teachers. Of course, it is different in the world of
> research.
> Just an example : we have in Belgium thousands of French students in our
> Universities or Hautes Ecoles, because our education system is quite
> open, while it is particularly difficult for a Belgian to study in
> France.
>
> Jean Michel
>

> Le 18.02.2021 23:53, Jan E.M. Houben a écrit :
> > sans accepter la diversité régionale, culturelle et linguistique, la
> > science et l'érudition perdraient pourtant une grande partie de la
> > richesse qui leur appartenait traditionnellement ...
> >
> > (= without accepting regional, cultural and linguistic diversity,
> > science and scholarship would nevertheless lose much of the richness
> > which has been traditionally theirs ...)
> >
> > On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 at 17:54, Dominik Wujastyk <wujastyk at gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> https://www.ephe.psl.eu/actualites/recrutement-des-seignants-chercheurs-2021

> >> "of course"?  No, this is not obvious or normal.  Many countries
> >> hire professors on the understanding that if they don't know the
> >> indigenous language they will commit to learning it within the first
> >> two years of tenure.  As far as I am aware, that is normal
> >> international practice.
> >>
> >> Best,
> >> Dominik
> >
> > --
> >
> > JAN E.M. HOUBEN
> >
> > Directeur d'Études, Professor of South Asian History and Philology
> >
> > _Sources et histoire de la tradition sanskrite_
> >
> > École Pratique des Hautes Études (EPHE, Paris Sciences et Lettres)
> >
> > _SCIENCES HISTORIQUES ET PHILOLOGIQUES _
> >
> > Groupe de recherches en études indiennes (EA 2120)
> >
> > _johannes.houben [at] ephe.psl.eu_
> >
> > _https://ephe-sorbonne.academia.edu/JanEMHouben [2]_
> >
> > _https://www.classicalindia.info_ [3]
> >
> > LabEx Hastec OS 2021 -- _L'Inde Classique_ augmentée: construction,
> > transmission
> >
> > et transformations d'un savoir scientifique
> >
> > Links:
> > ------
> > [1]
> >
> https://www.ephe.psl.eu/actualites/recrutement-des-seignants-chercheurs-2021
> > [2] https://ephe-sorbonne.academia.edu/JanEMHouben
> > [3] https://www.classicalindia.info

J. Silk
Leiden University
Leiden University Institute for Area Studies, LIAS
Matthias de Vrieshof 3, Room 0.05b
2311 BZ Leiden
The Netherlands

website: www.OpenPhilology.eu
copies of my publications may be found at
https://leidenuniv.academia.edu/JASilk