[INDOLOGY] Re: Hymns that are a mixture of sanskrit and vernacular languages

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 04:09:29 UTC 2021

Mixture of Sanskrit and Indian vernacular languages is at three levels :

1. Language used in the hymn itself is a hybrid of Sanskrit and the
vernacular, the language is called Manipravaala

Malayalam examples are the 15th century works, *Vasudeva Stavam, Avatharana
Dasakam, Dasavathara Charitham, Chelloor Nadha Stavam, Ramayana Keerthanam*,
and *Bhadrakali Stavam (*http://www.keralaculture.org/manipravalam/264)

2. A given stotra having a few verses in Sanskrit and a few in the
vernacular

There are some stotras in Telugu and Tamil falling under this category.

3. Recitation routines mixing Sanskrit and vernacular stotras.

This is the most common, widely prevalent phenomenon, sometimes creating
number 2 above.

On Sun, Feb 14, 2021 at 7:07 AM Madhav Deshpande <mmdesh at umich.edu> wrote:

> Dear Harry,
>
>      Here is an example of Hindi-Sanskrit language mixture in a Bhajan
> composed by Goswami Tulasidas.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shri_Ramachandra_Kripalu
>
>      I have discussed some examples of language mixture in an article.
> Please see the attached file.  Best,
>
> Madhav
>
> Madhav M. Deshpande
> Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
> University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
> Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies
> Adjunct Professor, National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bangalore, India
>
> [Residence: Campbell, California, USA]
>

> On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 3:47 PM Harry Spier <vasishtha.spier at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear list members,
>> Can anyone point me to any articles or studies of hymns that are a
>> mixture of sanskrit and an indian vernacular language.
>> Thanks,
>> Harry Spier

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

Director,  Inter-Gurukula-University Centre , Indic Academy
BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra
BoS, Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth, Veliyanad, Kerala
BoS Veda Vijnana Gurukula, Bengaluru.
Member, Advisory Council, Veda Vijnana Shodha Samsthanam, Bengaluru
BoS Rashtram School of Public Leadership
Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Studies in Public Leadership
Former Senior Professor of Cultural Studies,
Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.