[INDOLOGY] dhudhurikā/ghughurikā

Gaia Pintucci gaiapintucci at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 13:50:19 UTC 2021

Dear All,

Thanks for all the replies both on and off-list.

I am eager to hear any further input you might have on the nature of the
nīvi/nīvī and related questions, but I would like to briefly zoom in on the
word dhudhurikā.

Come to think of it, in the manuscript in which I found it, gha and dha
can't be clearly distinguished. (Actually, from a purely graphic point of
view they *could*, but the scribe does not seem to use the graphic
peculiarities of the two *akṣara*s with a purpose.) Therefore the word
might be either dhudhurikā or ghughurikā.

In this respect, in J.T. Platts' Urdū dictionary I see that the words
ghagh[a]rā and ghagh[a]rī mean “a petticoat (= ghāghrā); a short frock” and
that they should be related to the “S[anskrit] gharghara+kaḥ and
gharghara+ikā” (p. 935 of the 2004 reprint). However, the meanings listed
by Apte for ghargharaḥ, ghargharā and ghargharikā don't have much to do
with "petticoat", see
https://www.sanskrit-lexicon.uni-koeln.de/scans/AP90Scan/2014/web/webtc/servepdf.php?page=0477-a.
(I might well be on a spectacularly wrong track.)

Does anybody have any thoughts on dhudhurikā/ghughurikā? Can anybody figure
out which language it is?

All the very best,

Gaia Pintucci