[INDOLOGY] royal hunt

Jesse Knutson jknutson at hawaii.edu
Tue Aug 10 19:56:29 UTC 2021

namaskaromi friends, The Kāmandakīya Nītisāra also picks up the A.Ś.
material Mark brings up and goes into detail about the construction of what
it calls the "mṛgayāraṇya." See N.S. 15.29-15.42, prior to which there is
an elaborate warning against the dangers of hunting and a pitch for
alternative ways to get the benefits of hunting, e.g. "yantralakṣya" for
improving aim, exercise for toning the body, etc. Best to all, bhavadīyaḥ,J

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 5:31 AM Mark McClish via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Dear Heiner,
>
> As much can be implied in the Arthaśāstra at 2.2.3, which provides rules
> for establishing the king’s *mṛgavana*. It is to be provisioned, among
> other things, with *bhagnanakhadaṃṣṭravyāla*: various kinds of vicious
> animals with their claws and fangs broken or removed. Here is the passage
> from the Kyōto e-text:
>
> *tāvanmātram ekadvāraṃ khātaguptaṃ svāduphalagulmaguccham akaṇṭakidrumam
> uttānatoyāśayaṃ dāntamṛgacatuṣpadaṃ bhagnanakhadaṃṣṭravyālaṃ
> mārgayukahastihastinīkalabhaṃ mṛgavanaṃ vihārārthaṃ rājñaḥ kārayet *|* sarvātithimṛgaṃ
> pratyante cānyanmṛgavanaṃ bhūmivaśena vā niveśayet *|
>
> Best,
> Mark
>
> On Aug 10, 2021, at 2:36 AM, Rolf Heinrich Koch via INDOLOGY <
> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>
> Dear listmembers,
>
> I am searching for quotations (preferably in Sanskrit/Pali sources) which
> clearly describe that for a royal hunting trip the animal to be hunted has
> been caught beforehand and later released for this royal hunt.
>
> This would be helpful for the interpretation of a picture strip which
> visualizes the Ālavaka-damana-story according to thr Buddhist commentary
> literature.
>
> Has any of you stumbled upon such a passage by chance?
>

> Many thanks
>
> Heiner
>
> --
> Dr. Rolf Heinrich Koch
>
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.rolfheinrichkoch.wordpress.com__;!!Dq0X2DkFhyF93HkjWTBQKhk!FiCNfUED
> DT4dSWL7vC9W-GeChFe39X97us66REU3uoUu2IRHOg2J-Kj-piHk-j0MDYS0h9OKJw$

---------------------------------
Jesse Ross Knutson PhD
Associate Professor of Sanskrit Language and Literature
Department of Indo-Pacific Languages and Literatures
University of Hawai'i, Mānoa
461 Spalding

It is creative apperception more than anything else that makes the
individual feel that life is worth living. Contrasted with this is a
relationship to external reality which is one of compliance, the world and
its details being recognized but only as something to be fitted in with or
demanding adaptation. Compliance carries with it a sense of futility for
the individual and is associated with the idea that nothing matters and
that life is not worth living. In a tantalizing way many individuals have
experienced just enough creative living to recognize that for most of their
time they are living uncreatively, as if caught up in the creativity of
someone else, or of a machine.--Donald Winnicott, *Playing and Reality*