[INDOLOGY] tribhuvanaṃ bhāti bhramān nirbhaye

Himal Trikha himal.trikha at univie.ac.at
Tue Apr 13 05:18:57 UTC 2021

Dear list members,

I am looking for a further attestation of the strophe below, which I
came across in a Pūrvapakṣa ascribed to a/some Brahmavādin/s in the
Satyaśāsanaparīkṣā (ed. Gokulacandra Jain 1964, p. 2).

The strophe is used to exemplify the concept that transformations
(vivarta) of the brahman are illusions (māyā) only. An earlier source
for the strophe would have to be dated in or before the 10th century.

With many thanks for any reference,

Himal Trikha

https://univie.academia.edu/HimalTrikha

---

yasmin rajjubhujaṅgavat tribhuvanaṃ bhāti bhramān nirbhaye |

so 'haṃ nityanirāmayāmṛtavapuḥ saṃsārasāraḥ param ||

_ _ _ v v _ v _ v v v _ _ _ v _ _ v _

_ _ _ v v _ v _ v v v _ _ _ v _ _ v _

"It's me [who is] the supreme, the essence of transmigration, [whose]
shape is permanent, without ill and immortal,

upon whom the threefold world appears out of error like a snake upon a
rope, although [I am / it is a place] without fright."