[INDOLOGY] Manusmriti ... (Olivelle, J P)

DIEGO LOUKOTA SANCLEMENTE diegoloukota at ucla.edu
Thu Oct 29 19:42:53 UTC 2020

   Rajam,

  The ninth *adhyāya* begins with injunctions meant for *puruṣasya striyāś
ca ... dharme vartmani tiṣṭhatoḥ* "the man and woman (or "husband and
wife") who stand in the path of the law," and from 9.1 up to 9.21 the
subject of the verbs in the plural third person seems to be the not better
specified *striyaḥ* "women" in pada 9.1a. I hope this helps!

   *namaskaromi*,

   Diego