[INDOLOGY] Fwd: Manusmriti ...

Olivelle, J P jpo at austin.utexas.edu
Thu Oct 29 16:13:29 UTC 2020

Sorry, this was not sent to the list. Here it is.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Patrick Olivelle <jpo at austin.utexas.edu<mailto:jpo at austin.utexas.edu>>
Subject: Re: [INDOLOGY] Manusmriti ...
Date: October 29, 2020 at 9:35:11 AM CDT
To: rajam <rajam at earthlink.net<mailto:rajam at earthlink.net>>
Cc: Indology <indology at list.indology.info<mailto:indology at list.indology.info>>

There is no statement of Manu that states all women are prostitutes. There are statements which emphasizes the need for women to be under male control/protection, the need to guard them from even the slightest attachment to sensual pleasure (saṅga). See Manu 5.148ff, and 9.1ff.

Patrick