[INDOLOGY] Manusmriti ...

Olivelle, J P jpo at austin.utexas.edu
Thu Oct 29 14:37:02 UTC 2020

And on burning the Manusmṛti, it is a long tradition. Ambedkar convened a conference of Dalits in Yeola in 1935, where a resolution was passed under the title “To the Untouchable Community: A New Message of a New Manu.” Within a month of that a group gathered in Nasik to burn a copy of the Manusmṛti; and copies of Manu were burnt in the precincts of the Rajasthan High Court on March 25, 2000. Manu does elicit strong emotions!!

Patrick