[INDOLOGY] Manusmriti ...

Hock, Hans Henrich hhhock at illinois.edu
Thu Oct 29 16:10:44 UTC 2020

Dear Colleague and All,

Check Manu 9.14-17; that’s where you find language (pauṁścalyā(t) etc.) that could be taken to suggest that all women are “prostitutes”, but the purpose of these verses seems simply to be to cast doubts on the trustworthiness of women and thereby to justify the need to keep them under constant control.

Best wishes,

HHH