[INDOLOGY] Six calamities

Christophe Vielle christophe.vielle at uclouvain.be
Wed Oct 14 16:47:00 UTC 2020

Thank you much, dear Peter, for the reference.
Now I can add the following article  by F. Wilhelm in IT, precisely on the topic ("Calamities - a dharma problem?) :
http://www.asiainstitutetorino.it/Indologica/volumes/vol23-24/vol23-24_art38_WILHELM.pdf <http://www.asiainstitutetorino.it/Indologica/volumes/vol23-24/vol23-24_art38_WILHELM.pdf>
Anyway, the śloka below (also quoted in a commentary to the final stanza of Mālavikāgnimitra, according to Wilhelm) must be earlier than its occurrence in the Kṛtyakalpataru and Vīramitrodaya digests.
bw
Christophe

> Le 14 oct. 2020 à 12:05, Peter Wyzlic via INDOLOGY <indology at list.indology.info> a écrit :
>
> Am 14.10.2020 um 11:42 schrieb Christophe Vielle via INDOLOGY:
>> From which (nīti?)śāstra
>> could come the following śloka about the six 'īti' :
>>
>> ativṛṣṭir anāvṛṣṭir  mūṣikāḥ śalabhāḥ śukāḥ |
>> pratyāsannāś ca rājānaḥ  ṣaḍ eta ītayaḥ smṛtāḥ ||
>>
>> PW gives a slightly different version with a reference to Parāśara, according to the Śabdakalpadruma
>> ativṛṣṭir anāvṛṣṭiḥ śalabhā mūṣikāḥ khagāḥ
>> pratyāsannāś ca rājānaḥ ṣaḍ eta ītayaḥ smṛtāḥ ..  Parāśara  im Śkdr.
>
> Hartmut Scharfe in his "The State in Indian Tradition" (Leiden: Brill, 1989, p. 69) refers to Kṛtyakalpataru and Vīramitrodaya. In this list we find: deluge, drought, rats, locusts, parrots and kings that are too near [to their subjects] (and thus able to satisfy their greed). He refers, too, to an older list of calamities in the Arthaśāstra.
>
> Hope it helps,
> Peter Wyzlic
> --
> Universität Bonn
> Institut für Orient- und Asienwissenschaften
> Bibliothek
> Brühler Str. 7
> D-53119 Bonn
> Tel.: 0228/73-62436