[INDOLOGY] Six calamities

Peter Wyzlic pwyzlic at uni-bonn.de
Wed Oct 14 10:05:48 UTC 2020

Am 14.10.2020 um 11:42 schrieb Christophe Vielle via INDOLOGY:
> From which (nīti?)śāstra
> could come the following śloka about the six 'īti' :
>
> ativṛṣṭir anāvṛṣṭir  mūṣikāḥ śalabhāḥ śukāḥ |
> pratyāsannāś ca rājānaḥ  ṣaḍ eta ītayaḥ smṛtāḥ ||
>
> PW gives a slightly different version with a reference to Parāśara,
> according to the Śabdakalpadruma
> ativṛṣṭir anāvṛṣṭiḥ śalabhā mūṣikāḥ khagāḥ
> pratyāsannāś ca rājānaḥ ṣaḍ eta ītayaḥ smṛtāḥ ..Parāśara  im Śkdr.

Hartmut Scharfe in his "The State in Indian Tradition" (Leiden: Brill,
1989, p. 69) refers to Kṛtyakalpataru and Vīramitrodaya. In this list we
find: deluge, drought, rats, locusts, parrots and kings that are too
near [to their subjects] (and thus able to satisfy their greed). He
refers, too, to an older list of calamities in the Arthaśāstra.

Hope it helps,
Peter Wyzlic

--
Universität Bonn
Institut für Orient- und Asienwissenschaften