Re: [INDOLOGY] vekurañja

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Sun Nov 22 13:34:59 UTC 2020

While Professor Dhadphale's etymology for *vekurañja <dvaikulajanya *connects
*ñja *with *janya*, I have observed another Sanskrit usage with *jña* that
may be of some interest. The word *svopajña* is conventionally used for
self-authored commentaries and one can see this word in numerous
publications.  Offhand, I don't know how old this expression is, and I have
not seen any traditional explanation of the word *svopajña*.  It seems to
me that the component *upajña *in this word makes better sense with the
verb *upajāyate* than with *upajānāti*.  So here we have a possible
instance of *jña* in the sense of *janya*. Just an early morning thought.

Madhav

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies
Adjunct Professor, National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bangalore, India

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]