Re: [INDOLOGY] kośa or koṣa?

Jean-Luc Chevillard jean-luc.chevillard at univ-paris-diderot.fr
Tue May 12 08:40:19 UTC 2020

"Gilead then cut Ephraim off from the fords of the Jordan, and whenever
Ephraimite fugitives said, 'Let me cross,' the men of Gilead would ask,
'Are you an Ephraimite?' If he said, 'No,' they then said, 'Very well,
say "Shibboleth" (שיבולת).' If anyone said, "Sibboleth" (סיבולת),
because he could not pronounce it, then they would seize him and kill
him by the fords of the Jordan. Forty-two thousand Ephraimites fell on
this occasion."

[taken from:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shibboleth>]

Dear Professor Deshpande,

what would be a real-life shibboleth, among Marathi speakers?

-- Jean-Luc (in Müssen)

https://twitter.com/JLC1956

https://tst.hypotheses.org/author/jlch

https://www.google.de/maps/@53.49484,10.57238,19z