[INDOLOGY] Antw: kośa or koṣa?

Raik Strunz raik.strunz at indologie.uni-halle.de
Tue May 12 07:39:33 UTC 2020

Dear Dominik,

I. Scheftelowitz (Zur Textkritik und Lautlehre des Ṛgveda; In: WZKM 21
(1907): 85–142) notes regarding the Kashmiri R̥gveda mss., that
word-initial and -middle ś frequently turns to ṣ following ī̆, u, o,
e, r̥, r. In contrast, ṣ frequently turns to ś following i, u, e, a,
r, r̥, but never after ī, ū, o, ai, au (ibid. §24ff. p.123ff.). He
also gives explicit information on kośa/koṣa, stating the latter to be
a younger development found earliest in the Brāhmaṇas and then the MBh
(p.127).

Best,

Raik Strunz

–––––––––––

Raik Strunz, M.A.

Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter
Email: raik.strunz at indologie.uni-halle.de
Tel.: +49 345 / 55 23655

Martin-Luther-Universität Halle-Wittenberg
Institut für Altertumswissenschaften
Seminar für Indologie
Emil-Abderhalden-Straße 9
D-06108 Halle (Saale)

www.indologie.uni-halle.de

–––––––––––

सर॑स्वत्यै॒ स्वाहा॑ ॥

>>> Dominik Wujastyk via INDOLOGY <indology at list.indology.info> 11.05.20
23.40 Uhr >>>
I always thought the first, with ś, was correct, and the second was just
an orthographic error.  Then I saw "-koṣa" on the title page of
Ingalls's Subhāṣitaratnakoṣa.  He must have thought about this.

So which is "right" and why?

Best,
Dominik

PS I haven't even done elementary due diligence on this question, beyond
MW.