[INDOLOGY] The study of Sanskrit as the epitome of uselessness

Christoph Emmrich christoph.emmrich at utoronto.ca
Thu Mar 26 14:03:49 UTC 2020

MARCELLO   Steiner! Che fa qui?

STEINER   E tu? Io sono di casa... Padre Franz mi ha dato un libro...

E mentre mostra un libro che ha sotto il braccio, accenna anche al giovane e piccolo prete, che è rimasto dove stava e segue la scena sorridendo lievemente.

STEINER   ...che avevo cercato per tutta Roma. Una grammatica sanscrita.

E Steiner ride, come di uno scherzo.

>From the script of La dolce vita (Italy, 1960), in: Federico Fellini, Ennio Flaiano e Tullio Pinelli. Quattro film. I vitelloni. La dolce vita. Otto e mezzo. Giulietta degli spiriti. Torino: Einaudi, 1975, p. 188.

[MARCELLO   Steiner! What are you doing here?

STEINER   What about you? I am at home here... Father Franz gave me a book...

And, while displaying a book he is holding under his arm, he also points at the young and short priest who has remained where he was and who has been observing the scene with a faint smile.

STEINER   ...which I had been looking for all across Rome. A Sanskrit grammar.

And Steiner laughs, as if about a joke.]

With warm regards,
Christoph

----

Christoph Emmrich

Associate Professor, Buddhist Studies
General Secretary, IABS

Director, Centre for South Asian Studies

at the Asian Institute, Munk School of Global Affairs and Public Policy

Chair, Numata Program UofT/McMaster

University of Toronto