[INDOLOGY] The study of Sanskrit as the epitome of uselessness

Robert Zydenbos zydenbos at uni-muenchen.de
Thu Mar 26 06:52:52 UTC 2020

I recall a short story (I forgot the title. It's the first story, I believe, in the collection *Fantastische vertellingen*) by the Dutch author Ferdinand Bordewijk, in which a student in Leiden complains that in Sanskrit class they have to read Kālidāsa, whose name according to this student is a misnomer: he ought to be called 'Kan-die-dazen' (translatable as 'man, can he blab a lot of nonsense').

Robert Zydenbos