[INDOLOGY] The study of Sanskrit as the epitome of uselessness

Aleix Ruiz Falqués arfalques at cantab.net
Thu Mar 26 17:59:55 UTC 2020

This excellent thread reminded me of a passage from *Hundred Years of
Solitude*. This is from M. Wood, *Gabriel García Márquez: One Hundred Years
of Solitude*, (CUP 1990).

[image: image.png]

Best wishes,
Aleix

On Thu, 26 Mar 2020 at 15:03, Christoph Emmrich via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> MARCELLO   Steiner! Che fa qui?
>
> STEINER   E tu? Io sono di casa... Padre Franz mi ha dato un libro...
>

> E mentre mostra un libro che ha sotto il braccio, accenna anche al giovane
> e piccolo prete, che è rimasto dove stava e segue la scena sorridendo
> lievemente.
>

> STEINER   ...che avevo cercato per tutta Roma. Una grammatica sanscrita.
>

> E Steiner ride, come di uno scherzo.
>

> From the script of *La dolce vita* (Italy, 1960), in: Federico Fellini,
> Ennio Flaiano e Tullio Pinelli. *Quattro film. I vitelloni. La dolce
> vita. Otto e mezzo. Giulietta degli spiriti**. *Torino: Einaudi, 1975, p.
> 188.
>

> [MARCELLO   Steiner! What are you doing here?
>
> STEINER   What about you? I am at home here... Father Franz gave me a
> book...
>
> And, while displaying a book he is holding under his arm, he also points
> at the young and short priest who has remained where he was and who has
> been observing the scene with a faint smile.
>
> STEINER   ...which I had been looking for all across Rome. A Sanskrit
> grammar.
>
> And Steiner laughs, as if about a joke.]
>
> With warm regards,
> Christoph
>

> ----
>

> Christoph Emmrich
>
> Associate Professor, Buddhist Studies
> General Secretary, IABS
>
> Director, Centre for South Asian Studies
>
> at the Asian Institute, Munk School of Global Affairs and Public Policy
>
> Chair, Numata Program UofT/McMaster
>
> University of Toronto

Aleix Ruiz-Falqués
Pali Lecturer
Head of the Department of Pali and Languages
Shan State Buddhist University
Phaya Phyu, Taunggyi, Myanmar 140101
(+95) 09428757648