[INDOLOGY] The study of Sanskrit as the epitome of uselessness

Will Sweetman will.sweetman at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 19:32:20 UTC 2020

While I'm loving these examples of the uselessness of Sanskrit (and see the
first chapter of Fred Hardy's The Religious Culture of India: Love, Power
and Wisdom for another example from Canetti's Die Blendung), I'd also like
to note something Mark Allon told me some years ago, when we introduced
Sanskrit at Otago. Apparently in one or other of the various international
university rankings, teaching Sanskrit was one of the things which elevated
a university's rank. Perhaps it was a sign the university was wealthy
enough to expend resources on something useless? A sort of costly
signalling. The peacock's tail of academia, as it were.

Best wishes to all

Will