[INDOLOGY] The study of Sanskrit as the epitome of uselessness

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Wed Mar 25 20:05:04 UTC 2020

One of the students in my elementary Sanskrit class at Michigan wrote me a
note saying the following: "I am terrified in your class that you will ask
me to formulate a sentence.  I cannot sleep for three nights before the
class and three nights after the class.  It is a dead language any way.
Why should we care?"  I have kept this note in some file.

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]