[INDOLOGY] Vaisesikadarsanam with Commentary Unicode text uploaded.

David and Nancy Reigle dnreigle at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 19:36:52 UTC 2020

Thank you for letting me know which edition, and thank you for making
available your unicode digital version of this very useful resource for
studying the Vaiśeṣika-sūtras as they were understood in recent centuries.
Probably not all readers know that it is now possible to also study the Vaiś
eṣika-sūtras as they were understood earlier, although the earliest
commentaries (e.g., Ātreya's bhāṣya) are still lost. Moreover, the Vaiśeṣ
ika-sūtras themselves had been transmitted imperfectly in recent centuries,
because only an imperfect copy of the Vaiśeṣika-sūtras was available to Śaṅ
kara-miśra on which he could write his Upaskāra commentary.

Better readings of the Vaiśeṣika-sūtras and an earlier commentary than the
Upaskāra first became available in the 1957 book, *Vaiśeṣikadarśana of
Kaṇāda, with an Anonymous Commentary*, edited by Anantalal Thakur. It was
based on a single manuscript having lacunae. The Vaiśeṣika-sūtras had to be
extracted from the commentary, so some of them were tentative.

This was followed by the 1961 book, *Vaiśeṣikasūtra of Kaṇāda, with the
Commentary of Candrānanda*, critically edited by Muni Śrī Jambuvijayaji (
https://archive.org/details/vaisesikasutraofkanadawiththecommentaryofcandranandaedmunijambuvijayajigos136_202003_44_q/page/n3/mode/2up).
Based on two manuscripts, this provides the earliest available direct
commentary on the Vaiśeṣika-sūtras (Praśastapāda's famous commentary is not
directly on each sūtra). One of the two manuscripts also gave the Vaiśeṣ
ika-sūtras separately, besides as embedded in the commentary. So this
publication gave us much improved readings of the Vaiśeṣika-sūtras over
those found in Śaṅkara-miśra's Upaskāra and later commentaries.

Then came the 1985 book, *Vaiśeṣika-darśanam*, edited by Anantalal Thakur (
http://www.downloads.prajnaquest.fr/BookofDzyan/Sanskrit%20Hindu%20Texts/vaisesika_sutra_and_vartika_1985.pdf).
It includes the first two adhyāyas of Bhaṭṭa Vādīndra's Vaiśeṣika-sūtra-vārtika
(or -nibandha), all that has so far been found. The anonymous commentary
edited by Anantalal Thakur and published in 1957 follows these two adhyāyas
so closely as to be an abridgement or summary (sāra) of this longer
commentary by Bhaṭṭa Vādīndra, says Anantalal Thakur. This shorter
commentary is reprinted here as appendix 1. Appendix 2 is an edition of the
ninth adhyāya of an anonymous vṛtti on the Vaiśeṣika-sūtras. A manuscript
of the tenth adhyāya of this vṛtti has also been found, but apparently was
not edited because it is in too poor condition. Nonetheless, the readings
of the Vaiśeṣika-sūtras from both of these adhyāyas have been given by
Anantalal Thakur in his 2003 book, *Origin and Development of the Vaiśeṣika
System*, pp. 140-142.

As a result of all these manuscript finds and laboriously produced
editions, as well as the great expertise of Anantalal Thakur in this field,
we now have the nearest thing possible to a critical edition of the Vaiśeṣ
ika-sūtras. It differs very substantially from the Vaiśeṣika-sūtras as
found in Śaṅkara-miśra's Upaskāra and the later commentaries following him,
Jayanārāyaṇa’s vivṛti and Candrakānta’s bhāṣya. Yet Anantalal Thakur's
definitive edition of the Vaiśeṣika-sūtras has not become well known
because it was not published separately, but only as included in his 2003
book, *Origin and Development of the Vaiśeṣika System*, pp. 24-121. It even
includes his English translation.

Apologies for the long post, but I thought some Indology readers may not be
aware of these editions and might want to be. The Vaiśeṣika-darśana is,
after all, an important topic in Indian philosophy.

Best regards,

David Reigle
Colorado, U.S.A.