[INDOLOGY] poison

Michael.Slouber at wwu.edu Michael.Slouber at wwu.edu
Wed Jun 10 17:30:08 UTC 2020

Dear Patricia and Jonathan,

Just for the record, Meulenbeld does have quite a number of references
to this subject under synonymous terms like viṣatantra and viṣacikitsā.
And as meritorious and useful as those volumes are, Meulenbeld did not
use any (or few at any rate) unpublished sources.  He was not aware of
the Gāruḍa or Bhūta Tantras as systematic classes, nor of most of the
important titles, despite their definitive influence on Indian medicine
where it involved poison/venom and exorcism in post-classical India.
Many of the most important sources I used in Early Tantric Medicine were
only available in manuscripts.

And Jonathan, I would encourage Charles to not jump to conclusions on
the origin of the material on poisons in his text, given that he has
apparently not read the most recent scholarship!

All the best,

Michael

—
Michael Slouber, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, South Asian Studies
Global Humanities and Religions
Western Washington University