[INDOLOGY] poison

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 17:41:01 UTC 2020

Thank you Michael, I've passed on the warning!

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 7:31 PM Michael.Slouber--- via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Dear Patricia and Jonathan,
>
> Just for the record, Meulenbeld does have quite a number of references to
> this subject under synonymous terms like viṣatantra and viṣacikitsā.  And
> as meritorious and useful as those volumes are, Meulenbeld did not use any
> (or few at any rate) unpublished sources.  He was not aware of the Gāruḍa
> or Bhūta Tantras as systematic classes, nor of most of the important
> titles, despite their definitive influence on Indian medicine where it
> involved poison/venom and exorcism in post-classical India.  Many of the
> most important sources I used in Early Tantric Medicine were only available
> in manuscripts.
>
> And Jonathan, I would encourage Charles to not jump to conclusions on the
> origin of the material on poisons in his text, given that he has apparently
> not read the most recent scholarship!
>
> All the best,
>
> Michael
>
>> Michael Slouber, Ph.D.
> Associate Professor, South Asian Studies
> Global Humanities and Religions
> Western Washington University
>

> To:
> Indology List <indology at list.indology.info> <indology at list.indology.info>
>
> Dear Johnathan,
> There is no mention of *viṣaśāstra* in the index of the *History of Indian Medical Literature.* I am currently working on a project that catalogues *rasaśāstra* texts, which relies heavily on the *HIML.* Thus
>  far I have come across numerous references to poisons, purifying
> poisonous substances, etc., but no recipes for making poisons. If I do
> happen across one I will make a note of it for you.
> Best wishes,
> Patricia
> Re: [INDOLOGY] poison
>
> From:
> Patricia Sauthoff <sauthoff at ualberta.ca> <sauthoff at ualberta.ca>
>
> Date:
> 6/9/20, 11:42 AM

J. Silk
Leiden University
Leiden University Institute for Area Studies, LIAS
Matthias de Vrieshof 3, Room 0.05b
2311 BZ Leiden
The Netherlands

copies of my publications may be found at
https://leidenuniv.academia.edu/JASilk