[INDOLOGY] poison

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 19:31:55 UTC 2020

dear Colleagues

Thanks to all of you who have contributed so much to helping Prof Ramble
try to localize his Tibetan text. His preliminary conclusion is that while
the text's author(s) knew Indian ideas, it's a text composed in Tibet. No
doubt in the future there will be much more to say about the possible
connections of this sort of "technical" knowledge transfer, enriching our
understanding on both sides of the Himalayas.

very warmest thanks to all, Jonathan

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 8:44 PM Patricia Sauthoff via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Dear Johnathan,
>
> There is no mention of *viṣaśāstra* in the index of the *History of
> Indian Medical Literature.* I am currently working on a project that
> catalogues *rasaśāstra* texts, which relies heavily on the *HIML.* Thus
> far I have come across numerous references to poisons, purifying poisonous
> substances, etc., but no recipes for making poisons. If I do happen across
> one I will make a note of it for you.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Patricia
>
> On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 10:22 AM Michael.Slouber--- via INDOLOGY <
> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>
>> Dear colleagues,
>>
>> In post-classical India, viṣaśāstra became synonymous with a branch of
>> Tantric medicine that I wrote a book about a few years ago:
>> http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/999908257
>>
>> Mention of manufactured poison (kṛtrima) is rare in the literature, to
>> answer Jonathan comment; one rather used poisonous plants, or less
>> commonly, extracted venom.  And there are fascinating uses of minuscule
>> amounts of poison for healing that I touch on in the book, responding to
>> Jan's comment.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Michael

>> Associate Professor, South Asian Studies
>> Global Humanities and Religions
>> Western Washington University

> --
> Patricia Sauthoff
> (she/her/they/them)
> Postdoctoral Fellow
> AyurYog.org
> Department of History and Classics
> University of Alberta
> Edmonton, Canada

J. Silk
Leiden University
Leiden University Institute for Area Studies, LIAS
Matthias de Vrieshof 3, Room 0.05b
2311 BZ Leiden
The Netherlands

copies of my publications may be found at
https://leidenuniv.academia.edu/JASilk