[INDOLOGY] Searching archive.org: Canada/Sanskrit (Jonathan Silk)

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 10:04:53 UTC 2020

Just thinking out loud: I wonder if there is a way to crowd-source
correction of such metadata.
As all of us who have used Archive.org know, finding things is often a real
matter of hit and miss, since so many things are put up with either wrong
or horribly incomplete data. Moreover, one of the first things I noticed in
the Canadian data is that there seem to be cases where all the diacritical
letters in a title have either disappeared, or simply do not appear on
screen -- I didn't do any systematic sort of survey. But the resources are
wonderful and often really crucial for us, most especially in this lockdown
situation, so it would be a positive thing if there were a way to make the
resource better.

(Another) Jonathan

On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 8:23 PM Jonathan Peterson via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> The University of Toronto’s library system has contributed nearly 215,000
> titles from their collections to the Internet Archive project. The library
> has devoted a sizable area of the John P. Robarts Library's 7th floor to
> the ongoing scanning and digitization of material. Curious about metadata
> problems with their digitized Sanskrit collection, I spoke a few years ago
> to a librarian who liaises between Robarts and Internet Archive. If I
> recall correctly, they mentioned that the metadata for their digital
> collection on Archive.org is drawn directly from the UToronto library
> system itself. Due to staffing, budget, and expertise constraints, there is
> little scope for correcting metadata on a mass scale. Doing so, they
> emphasized, would require a cumbersome process of first correcting data on
> library-side AACR2/RDA listings, which would then be used to update
> Archive.org.
>
> With best wishes,
> Jonathan Peterson
> University of Toronto

J. Silk
Leiden University
Leiden University Institute for Area Studies, LIAS
Matthias de Vrieshof 3, Room 0.05b
2311 BZ Leiden
The Netherlands

copies of my publications may be found at
https://leidenuniv.academia.edu/JASilk