Re: [INDOLOGY] Saṃmatu

Dániel Balogh danbalogh at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 07:57:24 UTC 2020

Dear Martin, have you considered the possibility that the sign you read as
u at the end is A) in fact a virāma; or B) a scribal error for what was
meant to be a virāma? Given that it is a north Indian manuscript, a
Telugu-ish ending seems unlikely as you say. I am sure I have seen "saṃvat"
written (on a copper plate in Nagari) with a virāma that looked very much
like an u. I have no particular recollection of ever seeing saṃmat instead
of saṃvat, but it saṃmat would not be a strange development.
Daniel