[INDOLOGY] Texts about translators and translation?

Hartmut Buescher buescherhartmut at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 18:07:49 UTC 2020

Dear Nataliya (and her student),

not yet mentioned by the contributors on this topic, there is quite a
substantial

book not directly thematizing the practice of translation, but the
hermeneutical

presuppositions for semantic understanding, hence translating. Benefitting
one’s

so-called ‘prestructure of understanding’ (in Gadamer’s terminology), i.e.,
what

Dominic has pointed out as “presuppositions [which] too often remain
unexamined”

(right at the beginning of his remarks “On translation”), it investigates
some of the

underlying classical Indian principles of hermeneutics:

Eivind Kahrs, *Indian Semantic Analysis. The *nirvacana* Tradition*,
Cambridge 1998.

Best wishes, Hartmut

P.S.: My mind somehow getting drawn into reflections on this subject,
fingers

finding their way to the keyboard, I noted down some *ad hoc* reflections;
following

Dominic’s example, I send them along with this mail to the list as an
attachment.