Re: [INDOLOGY] Sandal’s introduction of volume 1 in Mimamsa Sutras of Jaimini

Elliot Stern emstern1948 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 16:27:41 UTC 2020

Dear Jon,

The copyright page for the Motilal Banarsidass reprint of 1999 of their first edition of 1993 describes this edition as: “(Text and translation taken from the Allahabad edition of 1925 with minor correction and revision)”. I copied this from a Google Books preview (https://books.google.com/books?id=P4V6BE1_bdwC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false <https://books.google.com/books?id=P4V6BE1_bdwC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false>).

I do not see an introduction in this volume or the 1925 volume available at archive.org <http://archive.org/>. In the 2 page preface Sandal writes that he began study of Hindu philosophy in his old age. If there is an introduction in the 1980 edition, it may not be Sandal’s work.

I too did not find a copy of a 1980 edition.

Elliot

> On Aug 27, 2020, at 8:55 AM, Jon Skarpeid via INDOLOGY <indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>
> Dear folks,
>
> Does anybody have a pdf of Sandal’s introduction of volume 1 in Mimamsa Sutras of Jaimini, Motilal Banarsidass 1980?
> Seems impossible to buy a copy of the book.
>
> or,
>
> Is this identically with Sandal’s Introduction in Mîmâsâ Sûtras of Jaimini, 1925? I do have a reprint of the latter.
>
> Kind regards,
> Jon Skarpeid

Elliot M. Stern
552 South 48th Street