[INDOLOGY] Question?

Nathan McGovern nmcgover at fandm.edu
Mon Aug 3 15:26:16 UTC 2020

Dear Madhav,

There is a similar example in the name Sahampati given to one of the
Brahmas who features in the Pali Canon. Przyluski argued that originally
this must have been Sabhaapati ("lord of the assembly [of gods]"). See
J. Przyluski, "Brahma Sahampati," /Journal Asiatique/ 205 (1924):
155-163. I don't think he really explains *why* this nasal gets infixed,
but he does summon several examples to show that it is not an isolated
incident.

Best,

Nathan McGovern

University of Wisconsin-Whitewater