[INDOLOGY] Question?

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Mon Aug 3 14:15:28 UTC 2020

What is the source of the pattern in names like अन्नम्भट्ट, कृष्णम्भट्ट,
बालम्भट्ट etc?  This is very common in Maharashtra as well.  Our family
Purohita was one बाळंभटजी, and according to a genealogy of our family
transmitted to me by my father, our ancestor 16 generations ago was someone
named लुकंभट.  Where does this addition of अम् come from?  I see this in
names like Krishnamacharya and Annamacharya.

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]