[INDOLOGY] Question?

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 17:50:41 UTC 2020

just for ease: https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k933053/f159.image
this is the beginning of the article mentioned.
Maybe I am quite entirely wrong, but are we not dealing with an old frozen
form with an old aluk-samāsa in pl. gen? Lord of assemblies? (Cp. P's
singular)
again probably totally wrong...
jonathan

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 5:27 PM Nathan McGovern via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Dear Madhav,
>
> There is a similar example in the name Sahampati given to one of the
> Brahmas who features in the Pali Canon. Przyluski argued that originally
> this must have been Sabhaapati ("lord of the assembly [of gods]"). See J.
> Przyluski, "Brahma Sahampati," *Journal Asiatique* 205 (1924): 155-163. I
> don't think he really explains *why* this nasal gets infixed, but he does
> summon several examples to show that it is not an isolated incident.
>
> Best,
>
> Nathan McGovern
>
> University of Wisconsin-Whitewater
> On 8/3/2020 9:15 AM, Madhav Deshpande via INDOLOGY wrote:
>
> What is the source of the pattern in names like अन्नम्भट्ट, कृष्णम्भट्ट,
> बालम्भट्ट etc?  This is very common in Maharashtra as well.  Our family
> Purohita was one बाळंभटजी, and according to a genealogy of our family
> transmitted to me by my father, our ancestor 16 generations ago was someone
> named लुकंभट.  Where does this addition of अम् come from?  I see this in
> names like Krishnamacharya and Annamacharya.
>
> Madhav M. Deshpande
> Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
> University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
> Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies
>
> [Residence: Campbell, California, USA]

J. Silk
Leiden University
Leiden University Institute for Area Studies, LIAS
Matthias de Vrieshof 3, Room 0.05b
2311 BZ Leiden
The Netherlands

copies of my publications may be found at
https://leidenuniv.academia.edu/JASilk