[INDOLOGY] A distraction from the Coronavirus

Zoe Slatoff zoepearl1 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 12:47:41 UTC 2020

Dear Madhav and others,

Thank you for the lovely distraction. I feel inspired to join in:

यं लब्ध्वा चापरं लाभं मन्यते नाधिकं ततः ।

यस्मिन् स्थितो न दुःखेन कोरोनयापि विचाल्यते* ॥

And when, having attained this [infinite happiness],

One cannot imagine a higher gain.

Established in this, one is not agitated,

Even by the Coronavirus suffering.

(based on Bhagavad Gītā 6.22)

* please forgive the hypermetric 4th pāda

सन्त्यत्र बहवो विघ्नाः कोरोना दुर्निवारणा ।

तथापि साधयेद्योगी प्राणैः कण्ठगतैरपि ॥

Here, in yoga practice, there are many obstacles -

The Coronavirus is difficult to ward off.

Nevertheless, the yogī should practice,

Even if he is at his last breath.

(based on Śivasaṃhitā 3.53)

Warm wishes to all,