[INDOLOGY] A distraction from the Coronavirus

Christian Ferstl christian.ferstl at univie.ac.at
Sat Apr 25 06:43:22 UTC 2020

For the children:

कोकिलो रोहितो नागस् त्रयः स्मः सुहृदो वयम् ।
को-रो-ना-गण इत्याहुर् भूखाप्सु च विषाणुघाः ॥

"We are three friends, the cuckoo, the rohu fish and the snake,
the Corona gang, as they say, and we are striking the virus in the air,
in the waters, and on the ground!"

A question to the grammarians: Can the rood adjective gha as the last
member of compound be as freely used as the similar adj. -ghna, or is it
restricted to lexicalised words like pāṇigha and rājagha? I can hardly
find instances of -gha in online texts.

Thanks
Christian Ferstl