[INDOLOGY] CORRECTION: Help needed translating tantric verse

Harry Spier vasishtha.spier at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 23:57:49 UTC 2020

Thank you  James,
I've now been given three very  different views on the meaning of j *kūrma*
in *jāgrat-kūrma-samśritā *
*View 1  kūrma refers to a withdrawal of the senses  *
 with references to Bh.G.  2.58 and now your reference to  Patanjali
yogasutra 3.32

*View 2  kūrma refers to opening the eyes*
with reference to  Taantrikaabhidhanako"sa vol. II    which references SārK
10.13b: kūrma unmilane sṁrtaḥ
, but kuurma standing for unmiilana (see Taantrikaabhidhanako"sa vol. II
for this definition, it is rather  the "opening of the eyes" unmiilana),
but would understand it as a karmadhaaraya. So the whole compound would
literally mean: resorting to the (state of/vital energy of) eye-opening
which is awakening. Or simply: waking up (slowly), opening the eyes. This
would perhaps fit better in the context, after nidritaa and before
samaalokaya, so she is waking up/opening her eyes (which could also be
interpreted metaphorically of course).

*View 3   kūrma refers to a tortoise supporting the **kuṇḍalinī.*
with reference to diagrams  cakra scrolls from the 17th century onwards.
Note also that the TAK reference for  kūrma also says: "synonym for
mūlādhāra".

Thanks.
Harry Spier