Re: [INDOLOGY] Kālacakra etexts?

David and Nancy Reigle dnreigle at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 04:02:35 UTC 2020

Dear James,

Chapter 5 of the *Kālacakra-tantra* is the hardest chapter, as you well
know, since you translated it. While it is always necessary to compare
"the" Tibetan translation when editing or proofreading a Sanskrit text such
as this one, here two Tibetan translations must be compared. So it will
take some time.

As you probably know, the Tibetan translation of the *Kālacakra-tantra*
made by Somanātha and 'Bro lotsawa as revised by Shong ston is found
in the Lithang,
Narthang, Der-ge, Co-ne, Urga, and Lhasa blockprint recensions of the
Kangyur, and also in a recension with annotations by Bu ston. This Shong
revision was then further revised by the two Jonang translators Blo gros
rgyal mtshan and Blo gros dpal bzang po. The Jonang revision is found in
the Yunglo and Peking blockprint recensions of the Kangyur, and also in a
recension with annotations by Phyogs las rnam rgyal.

A comparison of these two Tibetan versions with the Sanskrit is interesting
and helpful, but time-consuming.

Best regards,

David Reigle
Colorado, U.S.A.