[INDOLOGY] A manuscript written in unknown scripts

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 11:03:43 UTC 2019

No one yet grabbed on to this, at least on this list, but ...

>> my professor found in Lhasa some large volumes of books in which there
are many photographs of South Asian manuscripts. These books belong to a
big project of an official committee in Lhasa which aims at preserving
palm-leaf manuscripts in Tibet. <<

if this means what it seems to say, this means that someone, at least,
namely your professor, has (some?) access to the near-legendary volumes
produced a few years ago, a set of 61 if memory serves, in which --again,
as I recall--excellent color photos were reproduced of palm leaf
manuscripts ( those in good condition, and thought to be complete? I am not
certain about this, but anyway apparently not paper MSS), and of which only
a very small number of sets were produced, those inaccessible even to
scholars in the PRC, much less abroad.
**IF** someone now has actual access to these volumes ... well, I dare say
it is not a big exaggeration to say that this signals a sea change, and I
am far from alone in eagerly panting for access to these photos.
Can you provide any more details?
(In the plates you offered, on 1b-4b the volume itself is visible, and the
color of the binding agrees with what I remember from seeing several years
ago a CCTV segment on the publication of these volumes, so I would guess
that your professor [I am quite eager to know who this is] seems to have
held in his/her hands one at least of these very volumes.)

Jonathan Silk

--
J. Silk
Leiden University

copies of my publications may be found at
https://leidenuniv.academia.edu/JASilk